Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Merry Christmas-a right, or a choice!

The following article is one that is floating around in the internet world. I have not been able to confirm if this was true or not. It is only one of many opinions that I have received lately in regards to this topic. I for one don't have a problem with anyone coming here from other countries, and enjoying the freedom & beauty of this country. What I do object to is them coming here and changing the ways we are allowed to do things, and controlling & complaining about people's views & choices that already live here. I really don't understand why there is so much fuss & bother over something that has been a tradition & way of life for years..that of being able to wish someone a very "MERRY CHRISTMAS". Why are we suddenly being punished for a lifetime tradition of just a few words and wishing someone a Merry Christmas. Because someone chooses to take offence at the word Christmas, we are suddenly not allowed our freedom of choice & rights.
Christmas is a holiday time that has been around since long before I was born, or my parents or grandparents & many other ancestor's. Does it appear as Merry Christ - day, or Merry Christ - mas? Should I wish people a Merry Christ Birthday? Perhaps that would be more suitable, since it's the day we celebrate the birth of the Baby Jesus when He was born in a stable, and laid in a manger. If we open our bibles up to the New Testament of Luke, chapter 1 talks about Christ's mother Mary, and how she was favored by God, and chosen to be the earthly mother of God's only son, Jesus. Luke 2 talks about the birth of Jesus Christ...vs. 11: "There is born to you in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord." Praise God! He gave us HIS son. That is the real reason why we have Christmas, to celebrate His birth-day.
The Lord's prayer has been taken out of 'our' schools, along with many other rights, priveledges, and choices because someone was offended by our choice. It doesn't matter if our choice & right of freedom has now been taken away.
Society has changed so much these days that we now keep the stores & factories, and many other businesses open 7 days a week. Gone is our way of life when Sundays were a day to go to church and spend time with the family, along with a day of rest. I suppose there are many people who prefer this and appreciate the fact that these places are open on Sundays. It's the people having to work it all of the time that have had their time taken away, and in many cases their rights of freedom to attend a place of worship. Meanwhile there are some people who are allowed time to leave their job for a short time, several times of day to pray because it is their religion. Now if I asked for that time I would be denied.
I'd also like to know where my rights of freedom especially my freedom to choose where & when I worship my heavenly Father. I'm not going to go on and on with my opinion. It's pretty clear that I feel my rights and others rights are being denied, both in this topic, and in other areas.

WHAT IS YOUR VIEW ON ALL OF THIS?

......................................................................
Will we still be the Country of choice and still be Canada if we
continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other
countries that came to live in Canada because it is the Country of
Choice??????

Think about it!

All we have to say is, when will they do something about MY
RIGHTS?

I celebrate Christmas...........but because it isn't celebrated
by everyone..............we can no longer say Merry Christmas. Now it
has to be Season's Greetings.

It's not Christmas vacation, it's Winter Break. Isn't it amazing
how this winter break ALWAYS occurs over the Christmas holiday?

We've gone so far the other way, bent over backwards to not
offend anyone, that I am now being offended. But it seems that no one
has a problem with that.
This says it all!
This is an editorial written in a
Toronto newspaper. He did quite a job; didn't he? Read on,
please!

IMMIGRANTS,
NOT Canadians
MUST ADAPT.
I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we
are offending some individual or their culture. Since the
terrorist attacks on Sept. 11,
we have experienced a surge n patriotism by the majority
of Canadians. However...... the dust from the attacks had
barely settled when the "politically correct! " crowd began
complaining about
the possibility that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against
anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Canada
Our population is almost entirely made up of descendants of
immigrants.
However, there are a few things that those who have recently
come to
our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand.
This idea of Canada being a multicultural community
has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national
identity. As Canadians.......
we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and
our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed over centuries of
struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have
sought freedom.


We speak ENGLISH/FRENCH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic,
Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the
language!
"We Stand On Guard For Thee" is our national motto. This is not
some Christian, right wing, political slogan.. We adopted this motto
because Christian men and women.......on Christian
principles.............founded this nation..... and this is clearly
documented.
It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our
schools.
If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of
the world as
your new home.........because
God is part of our culture.

We are happy with our culture and have
no desire to change, and we really
don't care how you did things where
you came from.
This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle.
But once you are done complaining....... whining...... and
griping....... about our flag.......
our pledge...... our national motto........or our
way of life....I highly encourage you to
take advantage of one other Great Canadian Freedom.......

THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.


It is Time for Canada to Speak up
If you agree -- pass this along;
if you don't agree -- delete it!

AMEN

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Hey Donna
I completely agree with you on this. We have completely taken out the true meaning of Christmas. It is our right as Christians to celebrate Jesus' birth and no one should have the right to take our rights and freedoms away. Christians need to be bold this season, and proclaim "MERRY CHRISTMAs"

Anonymous said...

I just got this today in my email from someone else.

I actually agree. I know some people will say it's too harsh and what have you; however, I think this is a valid message.

No one forces anyone to choose our way of life, country, etc. That is why it is called a "choice". Like the author, welcome. I certainly do not comdemn anyone searching for a better life. What I do have a problem with is being told I cannot practice my own rights and my religous freedom being threatened because it doesn't agree with someone elses. I did not say you have to practice it; what you the right to say I cannot?

mo said...

My brother once said Merry Christmas to a lawyer he was working with. The lawyer replied with "happy holidays". He later found out that he was Jewish. It's great to say Merry Christmas to people that are actually celebrating the season and I don't think it should be taken from us, but I do think we need to consider the feelings of others simply because we're christians. I don't want to offend anyone with my beliefs. I wonder what Jesus would say if He was here.

dawn2454 said...

Mo, I definitely agree with you on that part, that we don't want to offend others, but sometimes I also think we have to step out and say how we feel and what we believe as well. Didn't Jesus make sure that His Word was shared with others? Aren't we supposed to hold onto our faith and not allow others to sway what we believe? Often it's because I don't want to offend others that I don't say anything, and I step back into the shadows and keep quiet. Is that really what Jesus wants us to do?

mo said...

I think it's about wisdom. I just heard someone speaking about this on the radio. Sometimes it's better to wait for another opportunity to speak, wait for God's timing (usually when you want to say nothing LOL) Knowing when to give up your rights to consider others and knowing when to take a stand and defend Jesus or someone else. When I see people from another culture, I think it would be interesting to ask what they celebrate this time of year which might open up a dialogue about what we celebrate this time of year.
Merry Christmas to you, my friend. I love you and I'm so happy we can wish each other Merry Christmas without a law suit or something :)